Hypothyroidism slows down your metabolism, making it more difficult to lose extra pounds and maintain a healthy body weight. But weight loss is still possible with hypothyroidism.
For producing several hormones that power your metabolism thyroid is responsible. Those hormones also lower your bad cholesterol and fat levels.This places proper thyroid function quite high up on the list of things that need to happen for proper weight loss to ensure.It’s not the only thing on that list, though.
So, underactive thyroid sufferers rejoice, there are ways to circumnavigate your health condition and shed those pounds in spite of it.
Get Lots Of Exercises
Exercise speeds up your metabolism, working against the major weight loss challenge an underactive thyroid poses.
As a bonus, exercise at moderate intensity also boosts your thyroid’s hormone secretion rate. This takes the bad cholesterol level spike hypothyroidism causes, reducing your chance of obesity-related conditions like diabetes and heart disease.
Focus on exercises of the aerobic variety; activities like walking and running will provide the best benefits for someone with an underactive thyroid looking to lose weight.
Optimize Your Thyroid Medication
I wanted, to begin with, a nutrition recommendation but correcting your thyroid medication first priority. If your medication is not helping to correct TSH and thyroid hormone levels, as well as relieve symptoms, then weight loss goes from difficult to impossible.
Work with your healthcare provider to determine what type of medication is better for you, and also to find the optimal dose required. While Levothyroxine is on average more effective, Armour is reportedly much better tolerated.
Base Meals Around Vegetables and Protein
If you want to lose weight with an underactive thyroid, these should be the foundation of almost every meal you make and plated first when serving.
- Protein is paramount for weight loss. The main benefit of protein is that it’s much more satiating than both fat and carbs. That is, it has a unique ability to reduce appetite and therefore your overall caloric intake too.
- Vegetables provide most vitamins, minerals, and other micronutrients. The nutrient-density of meals is even more important for those with hypothyroidism and other autoimmune diseases, where nutrient absorption and deficiency are more common.Emphasis goes to green leafy vegetables, mushrooms, and cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage.
Switch To Coconut Oil
Coconut oil, on the other hand, contains medium-chain fatty acids that actually boost thyroid function. This works against the trademark hypothyroidism weight gain factors like sluggish metabolism and high cholesterol.
Medium-chain fatty acids also improve insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance.
You can use coconut oil in your cooking or even eat it straight off a spoon. Doing the latter 20 minutes before a meal will help your body process it efficiently in a way that prevents fat buildup.
Try Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar may also help deal with hypothyroidism and weight gain.
A 2009 study published in Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry reports that daily intake of vinegar leads to lower body weight, body mass index, visceral fat area, waist circumference and serum triglyceride levels.
- Add 2 tablespoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water.
- Mix in a little raw honey.
- Drink this solution twice daily on a regular basis.