Have you noticed that many things that were once believed to be complicated turn out to be extremely simple, yet most people are unaware of their simplicity? The case for deodorant is one of the best examples.
Eating a good diet and drinking enough water can really cut down the odor, but sometimes you need something else. Sure, the conventional deodorant antiperspirants work great, if you don’t mind infusing your armpits with aluminum and other additives!
Antiperspirants are designed to prevent our body from producing sweat by blocking sweat from reaching the skin. Aluminum is the active ingredient found in most antiperspirants. Aluminum blocks the pores so that sweat cannot pass through. There have been many claims that aluminum is linked to breast cancer and Alzheimer’s. It appears that further research is required to totally validate these claims.
Some types of antiperspirants contain forms of aluminum which have been found to interact with sweat to cause yellow staining on clothes. We have all seen this before on ourselves or a friend and wondered where the yellow came from. Well, mix an aluminum complex and sweat and there is the answer.
For those of us who have sought a more natural option, you may have noticed that the pickings are rather slim. There are a lot of natural deodorants out there, it’s just that, well… most of them don’t work well.
- A small mason jar or glass container (using an empty soap container or recycled cream jar works well too)
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot (or cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Soften coconut oil by putting it in the microwave for 10-20 seconds.
- Mix in the baking soda and arrowroot.
- Mix the three ingredients thoroughly and then scoop into the container of your choice.